——From Apple Community
I have an iPhone X and downloaded iOS 16 yesterday. Watched a couple of video tutorials on cutting out what you select, but whenever I press on the image nothing happens. I’ve tried people, faces, car etc and nothing happens. Checked the photo apps to see if anything was there to turn on — nothing.”
——From Apple Community
With the latest iOS 16, Apple has introduced the new photo cutout feature, uncreatively titled 'lift subject from background,' that enables users to isolate subjects from the background of an image and to paste the cutout somewhere else. While many users are playing around with the iOS 16 Photo cut feature, some users, however, are reporting that they are unable lift subject from the background after iOS 16 update. In case of iOS 16 photo cutout not working, don’t worry; in this article, we will guide you on how to solve this problem.
- Part 1: Why Is iOS 16 Photo Cutout Not Working
- Part 2: 3 Basic Checks When iOS 16 Photo Cutout Not Working
- Part 3: 4 Advance Ways to Fix iOS 16 Photo Cutout Not Working
Part 1: Why Is iOS 16 Photo Cutout Not Working
When you are not able to use photo cutout on your device running iOS 16, your first thoughtmight be: why is iOS 16 photo cutout feature not working on my iPhone? Well, there can bea variety of reasons, and some of the common ones are mentioned below.
- Your device is not compatible with the photo Cutout tool in iOS 16 — this is the main explanation for iOS 16 photo cutout not working iPhone X.
- The file types are not supported by the photo putout tool.
- The subjects in your photographs are not clear enough to be cut out.
- You didn’t update the device properly.
- There is an issue with your iOS 16 system.
Now you have known the possible reasons for the lift subject from background not working error to occur. Let’s move forward to check what your situation was and how you can fix the issue in no time.
Part 2: 3 Basic Checks When iOS 16 Photo Cutout Not Working
If the iOS 16 photo cutout doesn’t work flawlessly in practice like you failed to lift subject from background or copy paste in photos is not working, you should first have the following 4 things checked.
- 1. Check If Your Device Supports the Photo Cutout Feature
- 2. Check If the File Format is Compatible with Photo Cutout
- 3. Check if the Subjects in Your Photographs are Clear/Recognizable
1. Check If Your Device Supports the Photo Cutout Feature
Before you try to use the iOS 16 photo cutout feature, you should check if this feature is available on your iPhone. According to the iOS 16 informational guide released by Apple, not all iOS devices updated to iOS 16 can use photo cutout because it uses strong Al processing and complex background. Instead, the photo cutout feature will only work on devices with A12 Bionic chips or newer.
Below we have mentioned the list of all theiPhonemodels that iscompatiblewith photo cutout.
- iPhone 14 series
- iPhone 13 series
- iPhone 12 series
- iPhone 11 series
- iPhone XS series
- iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, iPhone XR
- iPhone SE 2nd Gen and 3rd Gen
Since iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus and iPhone X are equipped with Apple's A11Bionic chips, the photo cutout feature won’t be available on these iPhone models. If you are the one who is reporting the iOS 16 Photo cutout not working iPhone X or iOS 16 photo cutout not working iPhone 8 issue, I'm sorry to tell you that you may have to leavethe featureallbehind and move on with grace.
2. Check If the File Format is Compatible with Photo Cutout
If your iPhone is in the list of compatible list, however, the copy past in photos is not working, then you have to check if the image file format or video format issupported by this feature.The iOS 16 photo cutout tool works for certain types of photos, screenshots, portraits, Live Photos, RAW files, videos, and more.
Blow are the file formats currently supported by photo cutout on iOS 16.
- Images: JPEG, PNG, GIF, DIB, ICO, CUR, TIFF, and XBM.
- Videos: M4V, MP4, MOV, and AVI.
Note: Proprietary apps with custom content are not compatible with photo cutout. These apps include Adobe Photoshop, ICQ, Microsoft Teams, etc.
3. Check if the Subjects in Your Photographs are Clear/Recognizable
In case you’re wondering why remove the background of a photo not working after the iOS 16 update, you can check if the photo or video is blurry. The iOS 16 photo cutout tool requires the subjects in your photographs to be cleared and recognized enough for separation. Moreover, if there is no obvious separation between objects and the background of an image, you might fail to isolate and lift the image from its background.
To successfully cut an object out of a photo on your iOS 16 device, please make sure the people, animals or other objects are easily recognizable and clean-cut. The same requirement goes for Live Photos and videos. Here’s a smart tip for you: turn off "Live" for the Live Photo so that it will become a still versionof the image and you can easily select and lift subject from background; as for videos, try topause the video and make sure the object is clear and clean-out.
Part 3: 4 Advance Ways to Fix iOS 16 Photo Cutout Not Working
After going through the above three checks, if the iOS 16 photo cutout not working problem remainsunsettled, don’t worry. Here are the other 4 possible solutions that you can try to fix this problem. Let’s discuss these ways one by one.
- 1. Force Restart Your iPhone
- 2. Reset all Settings on iPhone
- 3. Fix iOS 16 Photo Cutout Not Working without Data Loss
- 4. Contact Apple Support and Third-Party App Support
1. Force Restart Your iPhone
The first technique that you can try is force restarting your iPhone. This is the easiest way to fix some minor problems with your Photos app. Let’s see how you can force restart your iPhone in case the lift subject from background not working issue arises.
- Press and release the volume up buttonfollowed by the volume down button.
- Next, press and hold the side button.
Once you see the Apple logo, release the side button and wait for the device to boot up.
Once done, open your Photos app, select a photo with clear subjects on it, and then Tap and hold on to the subjectto see if it can be dragged out. If the subject cannot be cut out, check the next method.
2. Reset all Settings on iPhone
If the Force restart did not help you to get out of the iOS 16 photo cutout issue, it's time to reset your device. This will return your iPhone settings to their defaults while preserving your data. For that, follow the steps below.
- Open your Settings app and hit the “General” option.
- Now tap "Transfer or Reset iPhone" and choose the "Erase All Content and Settings" option.
- On the screen, you will see everything which will be removed from your device. After checking the list, tap Continue.
- To continue the process, you must enter your passcode for confirmation.
Once done, tap Reset All Settings again to restore the iPhone to its factory settings.
Once your device restarts, open the Photos app and check if you can cut out objects from its background.
3. Fix iOS 16 Photo Cutout Not Working without Data Loss
If you don't want to lose your data and the reset method doesn't work for you, we recommend trying an iOS system repair tool named Tenorshare ReiBoot to get the iOS 16 photo cutout not working issue resolved. As long as the issue is on the ios-system side, ReiBoot can get photo cutout working again. It should be noted that this application makes sure that you don’t lose your important data. Let’s see how it works.
Download and install Tenorshare ReiBoot on your PC or Mac. Hit the “Start” button.(Video) New 2022 iPad 10th Gen FIRST LOOK + the best iOS 16 features for Procreate, Photo Cutout + more!
Connect your device with the PC and select the “Standard Repair” option. Standard Repair Mode is best because it solves the problem without data loss.
To continue the process, download the firmware package. Once you have chosen the right firmware version, click the "Download" option.
When the package is ready, click the “ Start Standard Repair” option. It will take a few seconds to fix your iPhone device.
Once the process is done successfully, you will see the “Standard Repair Completed” message on the screen.
Wait for your device to restart then check if you can now play around with the photo cutout feature.
4. Contact Apple Support and Third-Party App Support
Even after trying all the solutions above, if you are still unable to remove the background of a photo or copy paste in photos is still not working, then it's time to contact Apple Support to get help for your iPhone.
In the event that, you can lift the subject from a photo but cannot paste it into a third-party app, say, WhatsApp or Messenger, chances that there is an issue with the third-party apps, so it would be a good idea to reach out to these Third-Party Apps Support and report your problem.
The photo cutout feature introduced in iOS 16 enables you to lift the subject from the background without the help of any third-party apps, but due to some reasons, iOS 16 Photo Cutout stops working on some users’ devices. We have mentioned all the techniques that can be used to solve the iOS 16 photo cutout not working issue. If you don’t want to reset your device or erase all your data, there are other great options that you can look into, like downloading Tenorshare ReiBoot. This software fixes all iOS problems without erasing your important data.
Tenorshare ReiBoot - Best iOS System Recovery Software
Fix iPhone Stuck Issues without Data Loss
- Fix iPhone won't restore in recovery mode;
- Fix my iPhone is stuck on the Apple Logo,iPhone screen went black, iOS downgrade stuck, iPhone update stuck, etc.
- Support all iPhone models and the latest iOS 16 and earlier.
Update to the Latest iOS Version
If you haven't updated your iPhone to iOS 16 or later, photo cutout will not work for you. Hence, now might be the time you update your iPhone to the latest iOS version.
All you have to do is download PhotoDirector for free from the App Store or Google Play Store, then select the photo to edit from your photo library. Tap “Cutout” to automatically remove the background or use the Eraser tool to manually select the object to cut out.How do I make a photo cutout? ›
- Download the YouCam Perfect App.
- Open the app and upload your picture.
- Navigate to the Cutout tool and select the face you want to cut out from the picture by “painting” over it.
- Save your portrait cutout!
The photo cutout feature is only available on iPhones running iOS 16+ and those having an A12 Bionic chip. That includes the following devices: iPhone 14 series. iPhone 13 series.How do you use live objects on iOS 16? ›
Live Objects takes the same idea as Live Text and applies it to subjects in Photos. Users can long press on a subject, such as a person or animal, in a photo and iOS 16 will automatically cut out that object and allow it to be copied and pasted into whatever the user wants, such as an iMessage.Does moving wallpaper still work on iOS 16? ›
We know that with iOS 16, it is no longer possible to set animated Live Wallpapers on our lock screen, which was quite popular among its users.Why don't pictures fit iPhone wallpaper? ›
If you are having trouble including the edges of the photo, it's because Perspective Zoom is turned on, so the iPhone needs to zoom in on the photo, leaving a bit extra of the photo outside the edges to enable the perspective effect. Disable it by tapping the "Perspective Zoom" button at the bottom of the screen.Why won't Depth Effect work? ›
If your depth effect wallpaper isn't working, you should also consider updating your iPhone's software. To update your iPhone, go to “Settings,” “General,” and “Software Update.” If a software update is available, download and install it.Why can't I add Depth Effect to my wallpaper? ›
Depth Effect on Lock Screen wallpaper only works if you have an iPhone with an A12 Bionic chip or later. This means you can use multilayered effect on the following models: iPhone SE (2nd and 3rd generation)How to use Cutout Pro for free? ›
- Register at cutout.pro. Get free credit. Register now.
- Download the desktop App. Mac/Win64/Win32. Download now.
- Open the desktop App and enter your API Key. Get your API Key from the “My account” page. Copy and paste into the desktop App and you are good to go.
Answer: B) CROP. PLEASE MARK ME AS BRAINLIEST IF I HAVE ANSWERED THE QUESTION CORRECTLY.Which tool is used to remove to cut a certain part of the image? ›
The Crop tool removes the part of an image surrounding the selection.What are the photo cutouts called? ›
A photo stand-in (also called a face in the hole board, photo cutout board, comic foreground) is a large board with an image printed on it and that has one or more holes cut out where people can stick their face through the board for humorous effect.How do I cut an image in Apple? ›
In the Photos app on your Mac, double-click the photo, then click Edit in the toolbar. Click Crop in the toolbar. Tip: To quickly see the crop and straighten tools while editing, press C.How do I remove unwanted objects from photos IOS? ›
- Use PhotoDirector to Remove Objects From Your Photos.
- Select the Photo You Would Like To Edit.
- Begin Removing Unwanted Objects From Your Photos.
- Use Your Finger To Highlight the Object You Would Like To Remove.
- Finish Removing Unwanted Objects from Your Photos.
Press and hold on the Lock Screen to enter the wallpaper gallery. Swipe if necessary to the Lock Screen wallpaper that you want to crop, then tap Customize. Perform a pinch gesture on the wallpaper to crop the image and get the desired effect. Tap Done in the top-right corner when you've finished making changes.